The Burnett Avenue Missionary Baptist Church began from prayer meetings held at the home of Sister Clark, 1434 Bland Street, Louisville, Kentucky. The prayer meetings grew until a mission was organized by the Lampton Baptist Church in 1889. A lot was later purchased and an edifice built at 1425 Bland Street under the leadership of Rev. Wakefield Hart, a member of Lampton, who became the first pastor. The mission eventually became the Bland Street Baptist Church. Some of the early pastors of this growing congregation were Rev. Samuel Coleman, Rev. Jackson Riley, Rev. William Brent, Rev. Loving, Rev. Strow and Rev. H. W. Jones.
Under the pastoral guidance of Rev. T. J. Talley, the church purchased a lot at 511 East Burnett Avenue and broke ground in the Spring of 1921. Rev. Talley passed away before a building could be erected.
After much prayer and patience, God provided the church a leader in Rev. James A. Baker. It was through his direction that the building was constructed at the new site. The congregation entered the present edifice November 11, 1923 by marching from the old church on Bland Street to the new church on Burnett Avenue—and the church became known as the Burnett Avenue Missionary Baptist Church. The building suffered severe damage from the 1937 flood but rebounded and by the grace of God continued to serve as a means of spiritual support for the surrounding neighborhood known as Fort Hill. Rev. Baker served faithfully for 38 years (1921- 1959) and assisted several young preachers in their early development.
Rev. William M. Coleman, a member of the congregation, was called as interim pastor. The church building was marred by fire in November 1960. Rev. Coleman led the congregation in rebuilding and we re-entered the refurbished facility in February 1961. Rev. Coleman served through July 1961.